This book series enables you to access your on-site resources (rainwater, greywater, topsoil, sun, plants, and more), gives you a diverse array of strategies to maximize their potential, and empowers you with guiding principles to create an integrated, multi-functional, and water-sustainable water-harvesting landscape plan specific to your site and needs. Clearly written with more than 40 photos and 115 illustrations, these volumes help bring your site to life, reduce your cost of living, endow yourself and your community with skills of self-reliance and cooperation, and create living air conditioners of vegetation growing beauty, food, and wildlife habitat. Stories of people who are successfully welcoming rain into their life and landscape will invite you to do the same!
Earthworks are one of the easiest, least expensive, and most effective ways of passively harvesting and conserving multiple sources of water in the soil. Associated vegetation then pumps the harvested water back out in the form of beauty, food, shelter, wildlife habitat, and passive heating and cooling strategies, while controlling erosion, increasing soil fertility, reducing downstream flooding, and improving water and air quality.
Real life stories and examples permeate the books, including:
* How curb cuts redirect street runoff to passively irrigate flourishing shade trees planted along the street.
* How check dams have helped create springs and perennial flows in once-dry creeks
* How infiltration basins are creating thriving rain-fed gardens
* How backyard greywater laundromats are turning "wastewater into a resource growing food, beauty, and shade that builds community, and more
* How to create simple tools to read slope and water flow
* More than 450 illustrations and photographs
We offer a wide selection of rain barrels made right here in Iowa that can help you optimize the performance of your irrigation system and make your home friendlier to the environment. We are your one-stop shop for your rain water harvesting & composting needs.